We All Need More Self-Care
Self-care is the latest buzzword to be generating attention. We are now living in a world that needs a reminder to take care of themselves. How scary is that?! Stress is at an all time high and the World Health Organization considers it the 21st century health epidemic. We have let our work, activities and errands run our life, leaving us running on empty and feeling depleted.
Self-care is something little that makes a huge impact on our day to day lives. It helps in improving our mood and reducing anxiety. We all know that feeling of having a day off and getting things accomplished. That feeling of doing whatever we want and feeling empowered and recharged. Then Mondays come around and we are exhausted and already counting down to the weekend. Let's take a piece of that weekend into our weekdays and workdays as well. Let's make time for ourselves every. single. day. Let's make a life we don't need to escape from.
After working as a Correctional Officer and working myself to my breaking point, I finally started standing up for myself and taking care of my mental and physical health. Self-care then was saying "no" to that overtime shift, self-care was quitting my second job, self-care was making time for myself; it was not answering phone calls from friends and family because I just needed to breathe and be alone. Self-care then, was not pretty because I let stress take over my life. At the end of the day, we are only guaranteed one thing from the day we are born and that is that one day, we are going to die. So why not make the most of this life we are given?
I’m at a point in my life now where I'm okay with saying no, where if I don’t make time for myself, it ripples throughout my whole day. Sometimes all you need is just 5 minutes. Five minutes to disconnect from technology, disconnect from our busy lives and disconnect from our own reality.
Try taking some time to yourself everyday. However that may look for you - maybe that means getting up 10 mins early to spend sipping your coffee or tea in quiet and reflecting on yourself. Maybe it means making time for a workout or simply having a bath. These little pieces of our day go a long way. They make us feel good about ourself and boost our sense of well-being.
Self-care isn’t selfish, it’s a basic necessity each and everyone of us need to be our best self. Who doesn’t want to be the best versions of themselves? It gives us more energy for the people we love and care about.
Here is a list of some self care items you can do that will leave you feeling good. Start with something small today and start to feel the effects...
- Take 3 deep cleansing breaths. Inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth letting out a big sigh releasing any tension you are holding
- Rub some peppermint oil on the back of your neck
- Do some stretches in bed when you wake up
- Do a 5 minute meditation (try the insight app - it's amazing)
- Do a shower meditation - imagine the water washing away all the things that are no longer serving you for the day
- Wake up a few minutes early so you’re not rushed
- Enjoy a cup of tea in peace
- Spend time with a loved one
- Download meditation music and listen to it in your car on your way to work
- Take another route to work - see things with a fresh eye and appreciate the beauty around you
- Go for a hike and imagine yourself grounding through the earth, taking in everything Mother Earth has to offer
- Make a new recipe you’ve been wanting to try
- Go to a greenhouse and enjoy the beauty of plants
- Go to a yoga or barre class
- Buy a bouquet of flowers for yourself 💗
- Paint a wall in your house to give it a fresh new vibe
- Have an Epsom salt bath
- Put on a diffuser with your favourite essential oils
- Start reading a book you've been meaning to open
- Snuggle up for a nap
- Go for a massage
- Go to bed early
- Write a journal entry about what is going on in your life - the good, the bad and the ugly
- Make 1 small healthy diet change for the week
- Go on a weekend getaway to Banff or Jasper (the beauty of living in Alberta)
Self-care doesn’t have to cost money or take a lot of time. It just needs to be something you do for yourself that allows you to slow down and smile. After all, it's the little things in life.
Spring is around the corner which means it's the perfect time for a fresh start and a new you. What do you do to make your soul happy?